Start saving for college early. The state offers 529 College Savings Plans to help parents finance education expenses.


Section 529 plans are subject to contribution requirements and investment guidelines. In most cases the money is invested in a portfolio of stocks, bonds, or mutual funds.


Utah's 529 plan, My529 is one of the top-rated plans in the country. 


Scholarships are given for education based on merit, need, and/or talent. Scholarships do not need to be paid back.

Search for scholarships early and often. There are many websites that can help you narrow down your search.  


The State Board of Regents offers a merit-based scholarship, the Opportunity Scholarship. More information is available at


Grants are given to those who qualify based on financial need, and do not have to be paid back.

Work-Study provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses.

Student loans can be borrowed at a favorable rate, and must be paid back with interest.